i love lemon. especially in desserts! when we did our family dinner night on the beach, i knew it would be perfect to make something lemon-y and refreshing… so i picked lemon custard!
it was so fun and easy to make!
the fresh whipped cream which you fold in makes it light and almost airy.
besides eating it of course, my favorite part was making it! so, here’s the recipe.
- 6 large egg yolks
- ½ cup pure honey or maple syrup
- ⅓ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter, cold
- 2 cups fresh whipped cream
- lemon wedges for garnish
- First, make the lemon curd. (If desired, you can do this part up to a day in advance. Keep in mind it will need to chill for about 2-3 hours before serving)
- Whisk together in a double boiler: egg yolks, honey (Or maple syrup if you like), lemon juice and zest, water and vanilla extract until it is well blended.
- While whisking, slowly start to add the butter, about two pieces at a time. Keep adding as they melt into your mixture.
- When the butter is melted and combined, continue to cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. It will thicken and start to look like pudding.
- Once this happens, put the custard into the fridge to chill and set.
- Once the lemon curd has chilled for about 2-3 hours, gentle fold in fresh whipped cream. If you want, save a quarter cup of whipped cream for garnishing at the end.
- Depending on the amount of people you are serving, dollop into your favorite dish and top with a little lemon or even lime wedge! Note: because of our big families and other yummy desserts to try, I served mine in mini ramekins with little spoons which made the perfect serving size for each person!
try it out and tell me how you like it below!
Follow my blog to see more!