mom and i love cooking in the kitchen together. except for one thing that really bothers me: she never follows the recipe. ever. love you mom
but guess what? this time she sucked me in. we experimented! i do like to experiment but i’m also a big fan of stickin’ to the recipe
we made (really she made and shared the recipe with me ) a chicken salad that is perfect for summer! my favorite things about it are that mom’s chicken is homemade and so juicy, and the mango in it adds such a yummy bright flavor! i also love the avocado dressing that i made to go on top. it’s tangy but still light and really makes the wraps come together.
i served them on fresh butter crunch lettuce as little wraps. momma did hers on little gluten-free bread puffs.
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 fresh mango, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
- 1/4 cup organic mayonnaise
- 1 heaping tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 2 whole avocados, peeled and mashed
- 1 orange, squeezed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp orange or cider vinegar
- 2 tomatillos, quartered
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken and mango in a mixing bowl.
- Fold until just combined.
- Add in rest of ingredients and stir until mayonnaise is fully incorporated.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend for 30 seconds.
- Drizzle dressing over chicken and lightly toss to combine.
- Then spoon chicken salad into individual lettuce 'cups'.
- Top each one with remaining dressing and coarse ground salt.
they are so good both ways. you’ll have to try both and tell me which you like better!